Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 3 - Fussen, Germany

This day was one of my favorites. I have wanted to see the Neuschwanstein castle in Fussen, Germany for so long.

We took a 2 hour train from Munich to spend the day there. When we arrived it was pouring. I was wearing toms and my feet were soaked and cold within a minute. So instead of going straight to castles (which I would recommend for anyone visiting because the tours fill up really quickly) we walked around the streets of Fussen. My feet were absolutely freezing so we attempted to find some rain boots. Luckily we found a Woolworths, one of my favorite cheap European stores. I found a pair of black rain boots for 10 euros :) It was wonderful.







With warm feet we decided to head to the castles. You have to take a bus to get to the ticket office. As we were on the bus we came around the corner and saw the Neuschwanstein castle.  I was worried I would be disappointed, that it wouldn't be a beautiful as it is in the pictures. But it was even more beautiful than the pictures I had seen. The castle is on a hill surrounded by the most beautiful mountains. It is quite amazing.



We got our tickets but ended up being scheduled for a tour in 3 hours. So we decided we would walk up to the Neuschwanstein castle to take pictures. They say it is a 45 minute uphill walk to the castle or you can take a bus. We decided to walk since we had so much time and we walked it in 15 minutes..it was quite uphill but it kept us warm. We walked all around the castle and to a cool lookout bridge (which I couldn't walk out onto because I am terrified of heights).





Then we walked down to the other castle, the Hohenschwangau castle. This was the castle that King Ludwig's family lived in and the one King Ludwig lived in while he was building Neuschwanstein.






After that we went back up to Neuschwanstein to tour it. The castle was never finished. King Ludwig actually only lived in it for 66 days before he mysteriously drown in the lake nearby. There was one floor completed. It was pretty neat to see an actual castle. I wish we could've taken pictures inside because it really felt like we were in Sleeping Beauty or something.








We finished with a dinner at a Turkish restaurant while waiting for our train back to Munich. On the train we met a couple from Houston that was traveling to Prague. That is one of the fun parts about traveling meeting people doing the same thing as you from all over!

1 comment:

Beth said...

This is amazing. I can't believe that this world is so beautiful. Keep up the posting! Way to go Stef!!!